A Little Weary.....


A week ago Friday, Craig and I took Naomi out for her very belated 18th birthday dinner. We went to our favorite special place, La Fermata. Craig had 18 red roses waiting at our table for her and we enjoyed our evening immensely. We are so blessed by this beautiful and godly young woman. 

Our beautiful Naomi with her 18 roses

That night........Selah woke up sick. The next morning, I too was sick. Several of us came down with a stomach virus that put us out of commission for about four days. I am thankful not everyone got it. I was worried because we had a very busy week ahead of us. This is why I have not been on my computer at all for over a week. By Tuesday, we were all back amongst the living. Tuesday evening we had the privilege to host our beloved missionary and friend, Michael Wonser, in our home. This was our mission's conference week.


A sick Selah

Wednesday, Anna had her weekly check up in Tacoma. We didn't get her blood counts as they didn't take her labs until late in the appointment. Dr. I was able to speak with a CML expert who told him that it would be okay for Anna to be off of cancer meds for up to one month. This was a relief as we had still not heard from the insurance company concerning her new meds. We also were told that only 1% of CML patients a year experience adverse effects from the cancer drugs. We always knew our Anna was special! =) Saturday, I received a letter from Regence overturning their original decision to reject the request for the new medicine, Dasatinib. We will be getting this soon! Praise the Lord! Craig asked Dr. I what a reasonable time frame to transplant would be if she reacts badly to this one, and he said probably about six weeks. As soon as we get the meds, we will have about one to two weeks before we will know for sure if we should push forward. We are prepared for whatever the Lord desires.



Anna's beautiful smile

Wednesday evening, we had the opportunity to enjoy the teachings of another dear missionary and friend, Bro. Tom Tracht as well as Bro. Wonser in our Bible study classes. Thursday, we took the full day to spend time with these dear friends. We walked on to the ferry and then on over to the Aquarium. The children had so much fun being together and looking at all of the sea creatures on display. It was really neat as we got to be there during feeding time! On our way back, we all got a giant cookie and loaded back onto the ferry. At home, we ate dinner together and the men went over to Craig's study where they were joined by others for school of ministry. The children and I enjoyed this extra bit with Mrs. Tracht and her children. Friday evening was a wonderful beginning to our conference. Saturday started at 10 a.m. and went until 3 p.m., with a stop for lunch of soup and sandwiches. Sunday was the grand finale! All weekend we were blessed with challenges from the Word of God and our hearts were stirred by amazing testimonies from these heroes of the faith! Sunday evening we had our international dinner. The sanctuary was transformed into a banquet room, tables decked out with beautifully crafted cards with pictures of individual missionary families that we support on them. The food was amazing! Everyone went out of their way to make this a wonderful feast! While this was a busy weekend, I am sad it is over. Sad at the fact that it will be another FOUR years before we see the beautiful Tracht family again. Blessed though that we will get to see the entire Wonser family this May! And blessed that we had this moment in time.


Julia and Trenton having fun at the Aquarium

By the end of the evening, I sought out my very tired children to say our tearful goodbyes and to load up into the van. As I was doing this, I was approached and told that my son, Samuel, needed me. He was sitting in the rocking chair of the nursery, white as a sheet. His eyes were dilated and he was burning up. He said he almost passed out on his way up the hill as he was running a quick errand, and then again as he came back down. He was feeling dizzy and his hands were freezing cold, he told me that his bones were aching and his spine and neck hurt with intensity. His heart was racing. I worried as I heard this~ meningitis was in my thoughts. I ran up and got our "resident" nurse, Susan. I told her what was going on and asked her opinion. I didn't want to over react or under react in my thoughts or actions. But the first thing she said was the very thing I had thought. I then ran and got my husband from a meeting. He jumped immediately into action and took Samuel to the ER. It is always concerning to me when you get brought back right away and he did. His heart rate was 104 and blood pressure was high. He had a fever of 108! I asked Sam this morning what the hospital staff said about his temp, and he told me that he knew they were really stressed about it but trying very hard to not let him know that things looked bad.....he knew. (Okay, my hubby said his temp was actually 103, this explains to me why he was released! LOL! I think Sam was a bit out of it) They gave him something for the pain and Tyelonol for his fever. It did work it's way down eventually. They did a spinal tap as they too thought meningitis. His fluids were clear! Praise the Lord! And the test results were negative for meningitis, again, praise the Lord! Around three this morning, Craig, Bro. Wonser, and Samuel were headed down the hall to come home. The doctor was passing through and took a look at Sam, then brought a wheel chair to him and brought him back to his room to observe him a bit longer. Forty-five minutes later, they were headed home. Samuel is under orders to stay in bed this week, resting and drinking plenty of fluids. His fever is gone, but he is still in pain and very worn out.  We again praise the Lord for doctors and nurses and their care for our child. Please pray he makes a full recovery soon.

Samuel

"It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes. The law of thy mouth is better unto me than thousands of gold and silver. Thy hands have made me and fashioned me: give me understanding, that I may learn thy commandments. They that fear thee will be glad when they see me; because I have hoped in thy word. I know, O Lord, that thy judgements are right, and that thou in faithfulness hast afflicted me. Let, I pray thee, thy merciful kindness be for my comfort, according to thy word unto thy servant. Let thy tender mercies come unto me, that I may live: for thy law is my delight." Psalm 119:71-77

11 comments:

  1. Wow! What a busy time! Happy Belated birthday, Naomi! You are such a beautiful woman!
    Praise the Lord about the new medication for Anna! We are praying for the best long-term outcome, and that God will give you all wisdom and good health during this time of "waiting".
    We will also be praying for Samuel. All the kids said he was looking sick yesterday, and they were worried about him. I am so glad the Dr.'s at the hospital were so very attentive, AND that he didn't really have a 108 fever! (LOL) We will be praying that he heals quickly, and that the rest of you are spared from it.
    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord that Samuel does not have meningitis!!! We will be praying for him to get well, and will especially be praying for Anna during these next couple weeks as the time for transplant is uncertain. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you all and Samuel! Praise the Lord that Anna will get her new medications. I pray that they will be successful and will be without the harsh side affects.

    Love you guys,
    Sarah S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Belated Birthday, Naomi!! I love you so much!! Praise the Lord for overturned decisions concerning medications!! Samuel, get better soon. Sounds like you all are having an exciting weekend as well!!! Praying for you all to stay and BE healthy!! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying that samuel gets better very soon! Praise the Lord that Anna is able to have the new meds. Will be praying that they work with none of the harsh side affects.
    Love you guys!
    ~Hannah.S.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for Anna and Samuel. We pray that God will give you all good health and strength. Love you all so much. You are right Missions Conference was so wonderful. God spoke to my heart about many things that I am still pondering.
    Love Dave and Jackie Harper

    ReplyDelete
  7. As many people are praying for Anna around the world, we see answers to prayer in the reversed decision regarding the meds she needed. So we know the Lord knows Samuel's needs with this illness, and will take care of him too! Keep Samuel away from Anna....well, he can tease her from the next room. Naomi can't possibly be 18? Where has the time gone? Happy Birthday Naomi, you've grown into such a beauty. Emily, I'm so glad you were over the bug quickly and able to enjoy the missionaries & the conference. God gives us these times to boost our spirits, and let us soak up His word. Prayer continue for you all. I so appreciate your efforts to keep us all informed, so we know how to be wisely praying. Wish we could send a little sunshine your way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praise the Lord that Samuel does not have meningitis!!! I will be praying for him to get well, and I be praying for Anna during these next couple weeks Love you all
    -Brady

    ReplyDelete
  9. Continuing to pray for all you precious Houstons and to praise the Lord for the blessed Missions Conference.
    Birthday Blessings, Miss Naomi!
    Get Well, Samuel! (Be sure to drink lots of water. You could have become really dehydrated during your busy week on top of whatever "bug" got you down.)
    Thank You, Lord, for the medical care You have provided for Anna and for the insurance company's approval of payment for this new med.
    Love you each and all!
    Mrs. Bradrick

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! Mrs. Houston, that is a lot in one post. :) You have me on the edge of my seat. God is sure good to us. I am so very delighted for you guys and to see the Lord at work in every turn is wonderful. I love you guys and you are in our constant prayers. God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praise the Lord that Samuel is doing better!! I'm thankful also that the insurance company changed their decision so Anna can take the new meds. Hopefully she will be able to tolerate this one fine. Continuing to pray for Anna and the Houston family. Oh, Happy Belated to Naomi!! Sounds like she had a good belated bday.

    God Bless you,
    Rick Potvin
    Pr. 3:5-6

    ReplyDelete

Hello everyone! Thank you for following me on my blog! I LOVE comments and hope you will leave them for all to read! When you do leave a comment under "anonymous", please leave your name so we can know who you are, therefore enjoying your note even more! Thank you for your consideration!